Home Energy Assistance Available to Summit County Residents, July 1

Jun 28, 2024

Community Action Akron Summit can help income-eligible Summit County residents maintain their utility service through the Home Energy Assistance Summer Crisis Program (HEAP Summer) this summer. Eligible residents can receive assistance paying a utility bill or purchasing an air conditioner or fan.
The HEAP Summer program, through the Ohio Department of Development, runs from July 1 to September 30. To apply, residents must schedule an appointment with Community Action by calling 330-436-0261 or scheduling online at
The program assists eligible clients who are at or below 175% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, with a household member over the age of 60, a household member that can provide physician documentation that cooling assistance is needed for a household member's health, a disconnect notice, have been shut off, first PIPP installment, PIPP default or are trying to establish new service on their electric bill.
When applying, residents need to have copies of the following documents:

  • Copies of most recent energy bills
  • List of all household members and proof of income for the last 30 days or 12 months for each member including, but not limited to:
    • Wages – all paystubs for last 30 days
    • Social Security – SSI, SSDI, SSA award letter
    • Pension
    • TANF/OWF
    • Child Support – pay history for last 30 days
    • Utility Assistance/Reimbursement
    • Self-Employment – previous 12 months, IRS wage/record transcript, 1040 with schedules
    • Seasonal Employment – previous 12 months  
    • Workers’ Compensation
    • Unemployment Compensation
    • A signed letter of support from gift giver of their assistance to the household is required
    • No Income – IRS Tax return transcript, Non-Filing Transcript, Self-Declaration Worksheet
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency for all household members
  • Social security cards and birth certificates for all household members
  • Proof of disability, if applicable
  • Physician documentation that cooling assistance is needed for a household member's health (if there isn't a household member over the age of 60)
  • Lease or landlord name, with address, telephone number and monthly rent amount
  • If utility services are off, need to be transferred or a new account is being established, you must contact the utility company for new account numbers

At the time of the appointment, all necessary documentation must be submitted. If any required documentation is missing during an appointment, the assistance will be delayed until the documentation is received. An appointment no-show may result in utilities being shut off.